Saturday, September 26, 2020

Dunsville, Barnby Dun, Kirk Bramwith, Stainforth, and Hatfield

I travelled northeast out of town today, to Dunsville. I walked down St Mary's Road to Quarry Park and followed a bridleway across the fields to Barnby Dun. The footpath only skirted the edge of Quarry Park, but from what I could see of it, the park looked quite attractive, plenty of wooded areas, grasslands and possibly some wildflower meadows. 








I then set off along the canal towpath to Kirk Bramwith Lock.














Before reaching the village of Kirk Bramwith I did a short detour to visit the Don Aqueduct which takes the canal across the river...and there's a metal walkway to walk across.











It was getting quite cloudy by the time I was photographing the church in the village.








I chose to use the footpath that goes along the slither of land between the river and the canal; it goes along the top of the flood defences and I was exposed to the cold wind. I walked down the road at Stainforth until I reached the bridleway which goes to Hatfield; I stuck to the official route but I think there's a short-cut which goes over the highest part of the spoilheap. At least by going that way though I got a better view of the railway line.





When I reached Hatfield it was drizzling, a bus was due and so I caught it back to town - I'd already had the best of the weather for the day.










1 comment:

  1. Yes, Lee, the Quarry Park is very pleasant. I often visit with my dog, as I did today. There is an active Friends group helping to look after the park.

    ReplyDelete