Monday, August 31, 2020

Dunsville, West End, and Cantley

I travelled to Wyndthorpe Hall, the first place in Dunsville. On my paper Ordnance Survey map it looks like there's a footpath going right through the grounds, but when I got there I found out this wasn't so and my way was blocked by a high hedge - it did give me the opportunity to explore a bit since no-one was around...and take some photographs of the building, which is now a nursing home.







When I got home and looked at a zoomable online map I could see that the footpath goes right next to some adjacent houses. I'd actually walked straight past it without noticing it and so next I got on Google Street View and looked at the image; there was a footpath sign there, partially obscured by trees though which must be totally hidden from view by now...that's my excuse anyhow.

I had to walk further into Dunsville and then go down Woodhouse Lane; over to my right there was a partially flooded gravel or sand quarry. There was a strong unpleasant smell of marijuana at Dunsville and I was glad to leave the place.




I had a bit of fun precisely lining up this shot with the power station plume, especially since a police car was parked directly opposite - I think the two officers inside managed to work out what I was doing.



I picked up my original route at West End, it's just a group of quite expensive houses - as I approached there was the much more pleasant odour of freshly cut timber. 

I took my time photographing this attractive ruined farmhouse and got talking to a local woman whose brother-in-law owns the building.




I was chatting to another woman and her dog where this next photograph was taken, she told me that during the early weeks of the lockdown it was the location of regular rave parties by large numbers of young people.



I briefly needed to use the verge at the side of the A614 road before reaching Boston Park Farm and turning off for the bridleway which goes to Gatewood Farm.  

There are some tearooms at Boston Park Farm; I didn't visit them though because they were busy...it's a bank holiday today. This photograph is the farmhouse though.



 

I think Gatewood Farm produces poultry, so I don't know why they're using it as a wedding venue.



 

Beyond the farm it's a surfaced road all the way to Old Cantley. I didn't go to Old Cantley though, I went to the north through Cantley Park and then the housing estate at Cantley.

I've walked back home from Cantley Park several times during lockdown and have explored every possible slight route variation and so there's nothing interesting to write about for the final section of the walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment