Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Conisbrough, Firsby, Hooton Roberts, Old Denaby, Mexborough, and Sprotbrough

I travelled on a bus to Conisbrough this morning, as I did on Sunday, and got off on Doncaster Road.
I disembarked one stop early though - but it did mean that I got a distant view of the castle.



The chapel at the cemetery, a few hundred yards further on, is quite attractive.







It wasn't far to the start of a footpath that leads towards the hamlet of Firsby.





I then turned right; the walk over to Hooton Roberts was lovely, as was the next stretch, up and over the hill to Old Denaby.









It had been drizzling all morning and when I took this second photograph of Hooton Roberts church featuring the apples in the foreground it was so dark that the camera's flash fired automatically.



I went down Ferryboat Lane at Old Denaby and crossed over the railway, river, and canal. I walked through a housing estate until I reached Pastures Road and then joined the TransPennine Trail at the bridge over the River Dearne.  I stayed with the trail to where I decided to walk on the other side of the river at Sprotbrough to go home via Hexthorpe.







I enjoyed walking through this area of rampant Himalayan balsam; it grows taller than I am.


It rained for longer than forecast today and I had some problems with damp getting in my camera and so for part of the walk I couldn't take any photographs. Thankfully it's dried out now and seems to be working alright.

I'm still not managing to get anywhere close to Derbyshire and the Peak District, but it was nice to get a bit further afield today.

No comments:

Post a Comment