Monday, March 2, 2020

Penistone, Thurlstone, Cannon Hall, Cawthorne, and Kexbrough

I travelled on a bus and the train to reach Penistone by 9:20 and started the walk by going west along the TransPennine Trail for about a mile until I reached a footpath going over to Thurlstone.






At Penistone Station a middle-aged woman asked me about pedestrian access to the eastbound platform and then at Thurlstone a frail elderly lady this time asked me who she needed to contact about some rubble that someone had piled against a wall partially blocking the pavement - I didn't realise I was a local coucillor for this far-flung corner of Barnsley.

I headed north out of the village along Folly Lane; I don't know if it's possible to spot it from the photograph that it used be called Brook Vale - I wonder why there was the change of name? Further along there is actually a folly marked on the map, but when I got there all I found was a farm...called Folly Farm.



At Folly Farm I went down a track leading to Scout Dike Reservoir; I never got really close to the water though...and most of the time I couldn't even see it. The closest point I got to was the dam wall as I walked for a short distance along the road.

This ruined building I photographed next to Scout Dike Outdoor Education Centre looked as though it might have been used by the military at one time.



I then headed north to Gunthwaite Hall and then east to Gunthwaite Bridge.

The Ordnance Survey mapping is incorrect at this point just beyond the outdoor education centre, it shows the bridleway passing under the railway line. I could tell that I was using a bridleway because of the mounting blocks for the benefit of people on horseback...like cyclists they are also required to dismount when crossing the track and need to contact the signalman, using the phone that's there, for permission to cross even though there are usually only two trains an hour.




The route beyond Gunthwaite Bridge took me by this hastily made sign - I thought they only ever mined for coal in Barnsley.



I had to photograph this interesting tableau.



I continued, heading northeast through some lovely countryside to reach Cannon Hall. En route I stopped to photograph a gnarled tree growing up the side of a farmhouse.





The first photograph I took when I reached Cannon Hall features the ornate deer shelter; the others show the house and some of the outbuildings and garden features.













I'd intended to stay to the north of Cawthorne but I took a wrong turn and ended up in the eastern part of the village. I was soon able to pick up my original route over to Kexbrough though.



When I reached Kexbrough I had quite a distance to walk before I reached the first bus stop; I didn't have long to wait for a bus though.

Another enjoyable day spent walking; the wind wasn't anywhere near as bad as yesterday but although all of my photographs were taken when the sun was shining there were actually several short sleet showers.










No comments:

Post a Comment