Saturday, November 16, 2019

Bamford to Ecclesall

It was forecast for thick cloud and a gentle breeze today; that was good enough for me...although there was a slight drizzle until nearly midday.

I travelled to Bamford and walked up Saltergate and made my way up to Stanage Edge using the network of country lanes, tracks, bridleways and footpaths to the north of Hathersage.

I didn't use the footpath going across the golf course...I don't know why.



When I saw the ' Road Ahead Closed' sign I was confident that whatever the problem was I'd be able to pass on foot.



A few minutes later I wasn't so sure though.



I followed the suggested route up the steps.



The path goes parallel and right next to the closed track, only it's on higher ground. I couldn't see any problems at all and when I got to the end of the closed section there was a notice explaining the reason for the closure; resurfacing, and so nothing at all to do with the floods.

My camera gets good reviews and ratings for its performance in poor lighting conditions. I took quite a few test shots and these two were the best of my early efforts.




I decided to also take some photographs were the subject matter was closer.





Just beyond Green's House there are some stepping stones. I decided not to attempt crossing them today though and instead walked further upstream using the footpath - quite difficult in places.



The camera coped much better with the images of Stanage Edge - I think it was a bit brighter and less misty then though.







I walked past Stanedge Pole and almost down to the Redmires  Reservoirs before taking the footpath that goes across the moors towards Fulwood Lane.



I took three or four different country lanes to get down to the Forge Dam Cafe, where I had a pot of tea.

I planned to end today's walk at Ecclesall Church and that was where it did finish. I wasn't sure this would be the case because for the last half a mile or so I had to manage without a map because the Ordnance Survey Peak District coverage doesn't reach this far into Sheffield.











No comments:

Post a Comment