Monday, November 18, 2019

Malin Bridge, Load Brook, Ughill, Low Bradfield, High Bradfield, Foldrings, and Oughtibridge

Public transport ran on schedule for me today; three trams, two trains, and a bus. After arriving at Sheffield this morning I caught the tram to Malin Bridge and then headed straight down into the Rivelin Valley Nature and Heritage Trail.
















I nearly bumped into a jogger because neither of us knew which side of the path to move to; it's generally a lot simpler when I encounter mountainbikers - quite often they'll yell out 'To Your Left' or 'To Your Right' and pass on that side.

I didn't go right to the end of the trail, instead I climbed out of the valley just before the parking area at Tofts and walked up onto the high fields.

I headed west towards Bradfield, passing through the hamlets of Load Brook and Ughill.; I stopped to photograph this piece of agricultural machinery - I was intrigued by the scrubbing brushes.










At a junction of two roads on my way down to Low Bradfield I noticed some sort of monument or obelisk over to my left. There was an inscription and a date but it was well worn and indistinct. I shall do some online research later and post any information I find.





It's dangerous to walk up the road from Low Bradfield to High Bradfield; fortunately there's a lovely footpath across the fields. It's a fairly steep climb and at the top I was ready for my glass of Diet Coke or whatever it was, at the Old Horns Inn.

As usual I took some photographs of the village church.









I left High Bradfield by taking the footpath that goes off to the northeast and the next place I arrived at was Foldrings. I then walked through some woods and down the road to Oughtibridge. Many of the views in this area are spoiled by pylons and power lines - I did manage to compose these three images though...with quite a bit of cropping required for the final two.







UPDATE:
 Hoar Stones Road near to Edgefield Farm, above Bradfield. This unusual building is described, in Roger Redfern's book Portrait of Bradfield Dale, as being built over a roadside spring and was erected over the spring after a child drowned there in 1832. The Obelisk is in memory of this sorrowful event.

Thanks to Mick Walpole, replying on the Peak District Past and Present Facebook page.




1 comment: