Sunday, November 10, 2019

Warmsworth, Cusworth Hall, Bentley, and Highfields

My public transport options were limited this morning because of the flooding; there were no trains running to Sheffield and some local areas are still unreachable by bus. Services out to the south west seemed to be okay and so I travelled the two miles or so to Warmsworth and got off near to the unusual domed church.



I crossed the road and walked through a housing estate until I reached the lane that's designated as part of the TransPennine Trail. It goes over the railway line to Sheffield and then goes down through some woods until it reaches the viaduct over the Don Gorge....there was a lot of flooding in the gorge.










After about a mile I turned left and went along the path towards Cusworth Hall Country Park. I found a nice seat to sit down and have a bit of breakfast - these swans wanted to join me though.




I climbed up the hill to the hall; the museum inside the hall didn't open until later, but the public toilets and the tearooms were already open.











I re-traced my steps and rejoined the TransPennine Trail, heading northwards. My plan was to finish the walk at Adwick le Street by taking some photographs of the church there but as I approached Bentley a cyclist warned me that the track ahead was flooded, and it was quite deep - up to his axles.

So I chose an alternative route and headed over to the Great North Road at Highfields.

There shouldn't be a lake here, near the railway line at Bentley -



I don't think this seat was originally painted like this.





The only problem I had along my new route was the last couple of hundred yards where the floodwater was about a foot deep.



I caught the bus from exactly the same bus stop as I did on Friday; the bus was able to use its normal route into the bus station today...the floods near the town centre had receded.  


No comments:

Post a Comment