Sunday, June 16, 2019

Hope, Ollerbrook Booth, Edale, and Castleton

The driver of the 273 bus going out to Hope this morning was the same man who I had an interesting conversation with at Calver when he was driving the 215 a couple of weeks ago. We had another chat today in the bus station at Sheffield before he set off, he brought up the subject of Bridge Street at Bradwell, not on our route today though - it's where the service 272 buses go. He mentioned something that I'd never thought of before, something that's really obvious though if you give it some thought. Bridge Street is very narrow, there are only a few inches to spare at either side of the bus as it inches forward through the tiny gap between the houses, and he mentioned that several years ago the bus company had to pay for all the windows in the affected properties to have their windows replaced with new ones that would only open inwards. I love it when I find out out something interesting and a bit unexpected that I can post on the blog. Later on, after a few more passengers had boarded I did my good deed for the day by providing five pounds in change - the driver was struggling. 

Here's a photo of a bus passing along Bridge Street - it's not one of mine though.

See the source image


I started the walk by heading north out of Hope using footpaths and stretches of road until I eventually reached Edale.





Of course I took plenty of photographs en route.









The footpath comes out near to the Old Nag's Head pub in Edale.








I walked through the village, going down the hill to the Penny Pot Cafe, and went inside, I ordered a pot of tea and an apple and strawberry scone. The scone was very moist, I could have eaten it without any butter...there wasn't much taste of apple or strawberry though.





I was surprised at how easy the climb up to Mam Nick was, even taking into account my much improve fitness these days.

I think these photographs were taken when I was one my way down the other side of the Great Ridge.





I chose to use the abandoned road as the best way to get down to Castleton today; it used to be known as the New Road but that's a rather inappropriate name now. 










The day finished off with torrential rain and flooding at Castleton; It only lasted for a few minutes though and I was able to shelter beneath a shop canopy.













The weather was a bit of all four seasons today, at times it was warm and sunny and then a few minutes later it was cold with heavy rain and blustery winds...or even worse. I always pack my rucksack to be able to cope with whatever the weather throws at me...today I needed both suntan lotion and my cagoule...just thinking about it now though I'm not sure if I'd got any gloves or chemical handwarmers with me though!



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the TR Lee, walked the route many times in the past,never tired of it.

    ReplyDelete