Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Bakewell, Rowsley, Stanton Woodhouse, Stanton Lees, Warren Carr, Darley Bridge, Oaker, and Matlock

Today's weather forecast was for 'light rain showers and a gentle breeze' and so I trusted its accuracy and went for a walk. I think the forecast was being a bit optimistic; it rained for prolonged periods, but never amounting to much...the conditions never became unpleasant.

The streets of Bakewell were deserted when I arrived there at 08:30 this morning.





I crossed over the 'lovelock' bridge and walked along the path which goes up and over to Rowsley: today I didn't need to remove any fences, or mend any fences with anyone either.





The footpath finishes up going through someone's garden at Rowsley - it's well signposted though.





I spotted a bit of colour to photograph at the village shop and post office on an otherwise very grey and miserable day.



I took the private road, but public footpath which goes to Stanton Woodhouse.





I then walked down the road to Stanton Lees.





 I had to Google the meaning of 'Maranatha.'



Further down the hill, beyond Warren Carr, is Enthoven's recycling facility.



I reached Darley Bridge and headed towards Oaker taking the path across the meadows and then up through the woods - it was quite muddy in places and at one point I struggled to get my boots to grip the mud and had to seek out an alternative route away from the footpath.


I found a bit more colour in one of the gardens at Oaker.





As I was leaving the village I noticed this footpath sign shaped like a retro sc-fi rocketship...I've never seen anything like it before - it's also unusual because it not only points to where the path's going, but also informs you where you've just come from.






The final section of the walk went alongside the River Derwent to Matlock; I could hear the chuffing sound of one of the vintage steam trains on the Peak Rail Heritage Railway. I didn't even get a glimpse of it through the trees so there was no opportunity to take any pictures.









No comments:

Post a Comment