Monday, January 28, 2019

Cutthroat Bridge, Hope, and Castleton

I arrived in Sheffield in time to catch the 07:59 bus to the start of the walk at Cutthroat Bridge: I had alternative walks planned just in case I didn't get up in time. It's a steady climb up onto Bamford Moor, from where there are lovely views looking down at Ladybower Reservoir.
















The view of Ashopton Viaduct shimmering in the sunlight was magnificent from every angle; I just wanted to keep looking at it and taking photos, but I had to be careful where I was putting my feet and so had to regularly glance down every few seconds.

I got safely down to the dam wall, walked across it and then climbed over half way up Parkin Clough before branching to the left and taking the path around the eastern flank of Win Hill.







Once I'd descended into the Hope Valley I was mainly walking through pastureland; there were a lot of stiles that I had to climb over - each one seemed to be a different style. One of them in particular I found interesting, it had a small plastic or aluminium box attached to it; I'm assuming that inside this box there were some electrical components powered by a tiny solar panel. I wonder what its purpose is? My best guess is some sort of electronic counting device.



Hope church was looking its best in the winter sunshine.











The approach to Castleton from the east is lovely; I took plenty of photographs.









I had thirty minutes to wait for the bus - plenty of time to take a few more photos.











When I got on the bus I noticed that a sweeping brush was stowed on board; it would be useful in snowy conditions.

UPDATE: Someone has suggested that the small box attached to the stile is a solar light. It's so obvious that I'd never thought of that. It's very helpful by the landowner, or whoever though.

No comments:

Post a Comment