Monday, January 14, 2019

Ashopton, Snake Pass, Hope Cross, and Hope

I travelled to Ashopton and took the classic shot of Ashopton Viaduct framed in the distance before walking up to Crookhill Farm.











I continued past the farm; the next two and a half miles was my favourite part of the walk with lovely views over to Kinder Scout, the Great Ridge, and the Snake Pass.



.





When I reached Rowlee Farm I came down onto the lower reaches of the Snake Pass and immediately crossed the road and headed up the hill towards Hope Cross. The path going up this way has been named 'Potato Alley' by mountainbikers who regularly use the route - it's an appropriate choice, there are thousands of loose pebbles the size and shape of potatoes which have been placed there to supposedly improve the surface, and maybe reduce erosion...however it's now much more difficult for both tyres and boots.



Hope Cross is a prominent local landmark.







I took a steep path down towards the Edale road, one I'd not used before. Just past Edale End at the bottom of the valley I used a concessionary footpath going along the bank of the River Noe, new to me as well, and then the definitive path that still keeps close to the river until it reaches the road at the Townhead Bridge area of Hope. 




Today was the first time I was there when a train going to the cement works passed over the viaduct as I approached the main part of Hope - quite a rare event I think...I didn't get a good photo though.

The bus had just left for Sheffield when I arrived down on the main road in the village and so I had nearly an hour to kill. I went to the Old Hall Tearooms  and ordered a pot of tea and a slice of coconut sponge cake. the cake was very crumbly and I couldn't manage only using the knife which had been brought to my table so I asked for a fork as well...and then still struggled. I was pleased to notice that the knife had been made in Sheffield though. I had a good chat with a couple of the customers; when I left I told them I needed to get back to Doncaster before I turned into a pumpkin.





At one of the bus stops in Sheffield city centre the driver switched off the engine, left his cab, held up a bus ticket and explained that people who pay for their fare by swiping their mobile phone need to take the ticket they are issued and securely dispose of it because criminals are boarding buses and picking up the appropriate tickets off the floor and using them to steal money from people's bank accounts.





No comments:

Post a Comment