Friday, June 29, 2018

Low Bradfield, High Bradfield, Coldwell, Oughtibridge, Middlewood, Birley, and Grenoside

Services 61 and 62 depart for Bradfield from Arundel Gate in the city centre twice an hour. The routes alternate between a clockwise loop out to the Peak District and back, and an anti-clockwise route. This morning it was the number 62 going clockwise which arrived at the bus stop a few minutes after I got there; it got to Low Bradfield first and so that's where I got off and started the walk.

It's a nice walk uphill to High Bradfield taking the footpath across the fields.









After photographing the area near to the church I headed out north-eastwards and then due east over the fields and along a short stretch of road to Coldwell.



I was hoping to find a path going down to Worrall but I chose the wrong one and ended up at Oughtibridge, meaning that I had to walk along the busy Langsett Road for nearly a mile; unfortunately there's only one footbridge where I could cross over the River Don...and similarly only one bridge over the railway line.

It's quite a long and steep climb through the woods back up the other side of the valley but there are some extensive views of Sheffield from the ridge at the top. 

A few minutes later I had to stop to take this photograph of a perfectly positioned and proportioned ragwort.



I only just grazed Birley as I took the route of the Sheffield Country Walk to the viewpoint at Birley Stone where I decided to abandon the walk [after seven miles] because the heat was getting to me...and I'd drunk all of my orange cordial. I turned right and walked down the road to Grenoside and caught a bus from there back to the city centre.




No comments:

Post a Comment