Sunday, February 27, 2022

Bamford, Shatton, Bradwell, and Castleton

I caught the bus to Bamford Railway Station, the location I finished my walk on Friday. I crossed the road and walked down the lane to Shatton and then took a path that goes at the back of the village 










The next path goes right alongside the unclassified road that goes to Brough. It's obviously not a busy road but it would be quite dangerous if I'd encountered any traffic; it's a narrow sunken lane with steep embankments either side and poor visibility.



Fortunately I didn't have to deal with these horses; I would have been quite apprehensive being in such close contact with the animals.

I climbed up to Elmore Hill Farm and then dropped down into Bradwell. 









I then headed west and called at the quarry viewing platform before continuing across Old Moor to the top of  Winnats Pass.









I finished the walk by going down Winnats Pass into Castleton.












I've never seen it so busy in this area: hundreds of people were climbing up to the summit of Mam Tor and then walking along the Great Ridge, naturally hundreds of cars were also parked on all the approach roads and traffic jams were forming both uphill and downhill  through the pass. 




When I reached Castleton there were two small groups of loud drunken women and a lot of people seemed to be visiting with their dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment