Saturday, September 22, 2018

Selby, Wistow, and Cawood

When I found out that there's a castle, an old church, and an interesting bridge at Cawood, and it's not as far away as I thought it was I knew I had to go there. Well, this morning I caught the bus to Selby and then walked down country lanes and along footpaths across fields to first reach Wistow, and then Cawood.

I've taken plenty of photographs of the abbey at Selby on previous visits and so I just took the one today, as I was walking by.



At the start of the walk a new housing estate has been built and the footpath diverted, but it's clearly marked and I had no problems.

I soon reached Wistow church.





As I was leaving the village I noticed that at one of the houses they were giving away apples and grapes; I took this large red apple from the box at the side of the road...thank you for that.



I ate it as I walked through the countryside; I didn't recognise the variety - certainly it was like nothing I've bought at Doncaster Market. It was delicious; sweet and juicy, very refreshing with a tangy flavour, very soft and delicate as I bit into it exposing its bright luminescent green tinged colour. Wonderful.

A few minutes later I photographed these ink caps; I think they're edible but I'm not eating them...I don't like mushrooms of any description.



The path then cut across a field of sugar beet - I found this one on the ground already uprooted.



There were plenty more free apples, and pears, on offer in Cawood, including my pick from an entire orchard, but I didn't bother. Cawood is lovely, but it wasn't looking its best in the cloudy weather.


















My favourite part of the village was the attractive walk down by the river; as I was standing here taking this photo I got talking to the local postman who told me some interesting things about the area.





I continued to the church.











I found a footpath to take me across the fields back to Wistow by a different route but then used the road to head off for Selby - I wanted to ensure that I'd arrive in time to catch the 3:22 bus back to Doncaster.



Just as I reached the outskirts of Selby the postman who I'd been speaking to earlier stopped and offered me a lift in his van; I accepted - it meant that I had enough time to have a glass of Pepsi Max in the Wetherspoon's pub, The Giant Bellflower.

The journey on the bus to Doncaster takes nearly ninety minutes - fortunately I found a newspaper on one of the seats to read.






No comments:

Post a Comment