Thursday, September 20, 2018

Local/Regional National Trust Properties I've Visited

CLUMBER PARK, NOTTINGHAMSHIRE: Unlike most of the other properties, I can reach here on my own by using public transport. There are some nice walks round the lake and through the woods...strangely though, mobile phones never work here.

LYME HOUSE, NEAR STOCKPORT, CHESHIRE: It was raining heavily when we visited here and so I didn't get to explore the parkland and gardens. I can't remember much about the house - I think it might have a picturesque central courtyard.

HARDWICK HALL, DERBYSHIRE: There's a 'new' [Elizabethan] Hall and the ruins of the old mediaeval hall- the new hall was closed on the day I visited with my support worker. The gardens and grounds are well-maintained though and there's a nice country park with some fishing lakes at the bottom of the hill.  

KEDLESTON HALL, DERBYSHIRE:  I visited this property with Siobhan, my support worker. We found it to be poorly signposted; I think this is the property where Siobhan said that all of the women whose portraits were hanging on the walls were ugly.

NOSTELL PRIORY,  WAKEFIELD: It's not a priory, it's a stately home built on the sight of an old priory. There are plenty of artifacts associated with John Harrison, the man who made the determination of longitude possible by using his accurate timepieces.

THE WORKHOUSE, SOUTHWELL, NOTTINGHAMSHIRE: I quite enjoyed my visit here with Siobhan, my support worker, she much prefers stately homes though. Her family used to live in one and owned a lot of land in Ireland many decades ago...whereas I was born in a cottage hospital which only a few years earlier had been the medical wing of the local workhouse. We both enjoyed the fact that we didn't have to pay though because the computerised ticketing system wasn't working.

WINSTER MARKET HOUSE, DERBYSHIRE: It's only small, one room only in fact, but there's a museum and information centre inside.






No comments:

Post a Comment