Sunday, November 12, 2017

Eyam, Foolow, Grindlow, Abney, and Hathersage

I arrived at Eyam fifteen minutes late because there was a road closure and so the bus had to go the long way round via Hathersage. This delay meant that I was greeted with the melodious sound of the bells being rung at St. Lawrence's Church; I think the bells at Eyam are the best I've heard anywhere. I spent quite a bit of time in the village taking photographs, looking for unusual angles and interesting subjects.
















I left Eyam and headed westwards towards Foolow, first walking along a farm track and then across the fields; there were some lovely views illuminated by the bright sunshine.















The small, pretty church at Foolow was originally the village smithy.




By taking a wrong turn I ended up walking for longer along the road to reach Grindlow than I'd intended. Later on I could see that the gliding club was busy as a climbed up the hill.



Not too far beyond the gliding club, after having just walked  through a boggy area the sole on my left boot became detached. I was able to make an emergency repair though with one of the socks from my spare pair which I always carry...I just tightly pulled it over the toe cap.



Fortunately it wasn't far for me to walk to the road and I decided to stick with the road all the way back to Hathersage, passing through Abney. I didn't really mind though because I was rewarded with some lovely views.










I think I should be able to repair the boot with some superglue - but I won't be using this pair for walking or hiking any more.  I've got four more pairs, of varying quality and condition.





No comments:

Post a Comment