Sunday, November 19, 2017

Moscar, Low Bradfield, Holdworth, and Hillsborough

Despite still having a few problems with my knee today, not as many problems as yesterday though, I still managed another ten mile walk.

I'd only been walking for a few yards when I realised there'd been a hard frost overnight so the ground was frozen meaning that there'd be less mud for me to contend with. I'd got off the bus and headed to the north, passing by Moscar Lodge; this area marks the boundary between Yorkshire and Derbyshire and over to west there were some lovely views looking deep into Derbyshire.



It wasn't long until I got my first view of Boot's Folly in the distance, a tower built in 1927 to provide work for local unemployed men.





After a short stretch of walking along the road the next footpath goes right up the drive to Sugworth Hall and skirts the grounds; unfortunately you don't get a good view of the hall - it's well screened by a high, thick rhododendron hedge.



Leaving the hall behind me I began the approach to the tower; it's possible to get up right close...and even go inside - it's only a shell though.









Although it was frosty it was still very boggy in a couple of places as I descended to Dale Dike Reservoir. The reservoir in the following photograph is Strines though.






I planned to walk along the southern bank of Dale Dike Reservoir, there's a path, but I couldn't find it...so I took the higher path - a route I've taken before. This path eventually cuts up through the woods to the road. After a few hundred yards on this road I took the footpath alongside the stream which leads to Low Bradfield.









Next I walked along the northern bank of Damflask Reservoir, The path is wide, level, and well maintained and the walk around the circumference of the reservoir is very popular with families, joggers, and dog-walkers - at least a hundred people must have passed me here. The water level was low, the lowest I've ever seen it - but there was still enough water for the sailing boats belonging to the members of Sheffield Viking Sailing Club. 











The last couple of hundred yards of the reservoir walk is along the road; I was expected to have to continue about another half of a mile further until I reached my next footpath, but unexpectedly I noticed a footpath that wasn't marked on my map. The signs were obvious and very clear; there were two of them, both indicating that this was the way to Holdworth - where I needed to go next. One sign had been put there by Bradfield Parish Council and the other had been erected by the  Peak and Northern Footpaths Association. The route up the fields to the top road looked interesting and so I decided to take a chance, knowing that I couldn't refer to the map.

Maybe I regretted this...or maybe not, because I do like a bit of confrontation at times though. There were no line-of-sight markings on gateposts or trees, but the route looked clear and obvious and I soon spotted a gate that opened onto the road. I noticed that it hadn't been very securely fastened and so took a bit of time and care in doing a better job - there was no housing for the bolt to go into and so it was just catching on a flimsy piece of wire...anyhow, I bent a bit of stronger wire from the adjacent fence and made it  much more secure.

The next thing I knew the farmer, who had been driving his tractor in the next field, came running over to me and in a very abusive manner told me that I'd been trespassing and I'd damaged his gate, and a wall that I'd supposedly clambered over. He was a chancer and a liar; I hadn't been near any of his walls because there weren't any where I went, and I'd probably done him a favour by securing his bloody gate. After a lot of shouting and finger pointing, he attempted to show that the gate wasn't secure by attacking it with a kung-fu kick. The gate held firm and didn't open; I think he pulled a groin muscle. I kept a straight face and waited for his next move; another kick using a different type of martial art - this time the gate did indeed open; unfortunately for the farmer in the process he'd completely demolished the makeshift latch and loosened the gate post. 

There was an awkward silence for a few seconds which I eventually broke by reminding him that it's his responsibility to make sure that all footpaths going across his land are clearly marked and kept free from obstacles at all times.   

I don't know what he expected me to do, or what he thought my reasons were for ending up at that gate. I used that footpath in good faith and everything else that transpired was his own fault.

It didn't take me long to reach Holdworth, just a small cluster of houses and farms, and then take the footpath all the way to Loxley Common and Wadsley Common, and then walk through the housing estates to Hillsborough.

As I was passing the golf course on Loxley Common my friend Justin called me in a panic explaining that the pub was closed and shuttered. He phoned me up again a few minutes later to explain the reason - the water had been turned off in Doncaster town centre for a few hours.

Both the tram at Hillsborough and my train at Sheffield were late today...but this all worked in my favour when travelling home.

No comments:

Post a Comment