Monday, August 12, 2019

Carlton in Lindrick, Wallingwells, Gateford, Worksop, Shireoaks, Netherthorpe, Top Hall, Harthill, Woodall, Wales, and Beighton

I travelled to Carlton in Lindrick and got off the bus at the far end of the large housing estate there. I immediately found the footpath heading off to the southwest, and Wallingwells,

There are some pretty ponds at Wallingwells.



Just past these ponds I took a bridleway towards Gateford on the urban fringe of Worksop. I got to Gateford without problem, but soon after my friend called me on my mobile phone and I wasn't concentrating on where I was going and ended up far too close to Worksop town centre. This lapse did mean however that I got to walk past an unusual house; a bog standard council house plastered on all its windows and walls, and the garden fence, with hand-written posters complaining about the Royal Mail and local politicians...I decided not to take any photos; in fact I put my camera in my pocket. I didn't want to provoke anything.

After walking along the canal towpath of the Chesterfield Canal for a couple of miles I picked up my original route at Shireoaks.





The church at Shireoaks isn't very old, but it's quite attractive.







I continued past Shireoaks Hall and Netherthorpe Airfield.







There are some expensive properties at Top Hall and the footpath is routed well around them. I continued across the fields, and a short section of road until I reached Harthill. Just before reaching Harthill I saw the first two fairy rings I've ever seen. They weren't very impressive and so I didn't take any photographs.

I spent a few minutes in the area near to the church at Harthill, it's a conservation area. When I got to the church I discovered that it was open.









It was a pleasant walk over to Woodall; there's nothing much there apart from a couple of farms and some nice houses. The name of Woodall is well-known though because of the nearby Woodall Services on the M1 motorway.

The footpath heading northwards towards Wales runs alongside the motorway for a short distance before heading off to the right in the direction of Wales.

Of course, there's a church there as well; it's a large village.





When I reached the first bus stop at Wales I saw that a bus going to Rotherham was due in seven minutes' time and so I decided to wait. My original plan was to continue on to the Rother Valley Country Park and then catch a bus back to Rotherham or Sheffield from Beighton. I was a bit tired by now, eleven miles into today's walk following on immediately from yesterday's nine mile walk in the Peak District.

I waited for over twenty minutes and no bus arrived; by now I was sufficiently rested and restored that I decided to set off again and head for Beighton by the shortest and quickest route. I seemed to be walking for a lot longer than I expected though but as soon as I crossed over the River Rother and two railway lines I was able to work out where I was on the map.

I arrived at a bus stop near to a parade of shops in Beighton - the buses from here went to Sheffield. The bus that arrived was bright orange...and on time this time.


No comments:

Post a Comment