Friday, May 17, 2019

South Carlton, Carlton in Lindrick, Hodsock, Blyth, and Scrooby

Another walk with my brother today, this time in Nottinghamshire. We started at South Carlton, where we hurriedly finished our walk the last time, and this time we obviously had plenty of time to go inside the church and have a look around. It was easy enough to open the door and get inside, all I needed to do was gently press the latch with my thumb; I think this type of simple mechanism is called a Norfolk latch. It was much more difficult getting out of the building though, it was a complicated and stiff bolt action mechanism...and it was dark, so I couldn't see what I was doing.










We returned to the main road and walked up to Carlton in Lindrick until I was able to locate our first footpath, going across the fields to Hodsock. The main thing to see at Hodsock is Hodsock Priory; it's not a priory though, on its webpage the building is described as 'a country house wedding venue.'











The walk over to Blyth was the best part of the day, although there was a small boggy area which my brother didn't like at all - there were some lovely meadows though.

Unfortunately the church at Blyth was locked.





















Leaving Blyth we had to use the road for about a mile before heading off to the north along a footpath going right next to Serlby Golf Course.

We finished for the day by walking along the road to Scrooby; a bus was due and so we caught it without going to explore the village. 

No comments:

Post a Comment