Sunday, November 18, 2018

Fairholmes, Exploring the Ruins of Derwent Village, and Hathersage

Today I went on a mission, to visit and photograph the ruins of Derwent village down in Ladybower Reservoir. The water level is now very low and extensive structures can be seen, being high and dry and easily accessible. I certainly wasn't the only person there exploring and taking photographs this morning; apart from hikers, there were family groups, dog walkers, keen photographers with some very expensive equipment, and even someone operating a drone. Unfortunately my photos aren't that good; the weather was still overcast and my camera struggles with the zoomed in shots.

Here are my best efforts though:





















I caught the bus to the information centre at Fairholmes and walked along the road which after a while becomes a track going round the eastern shore of the reservoir and then made my way down to the water's edge and the ruins of the village at a location where a well-used temporary footpath has been established.

When I reached the busy A57 road I turned and walked towards the Ladybower Inn and then took the path leading uphill onto the moors, walking for about two miles until I reached Cutthroat Bridge. I crossed the road here and headed up towards Bamford Moor and made my way to the foot of Stanage Edge using a footpath I hadn't found before. I stayed below the edge, and at quite a distance from it before gradually dropping down to the high level road that goes from Bamford to Hathersage. I'd not previously walked along a stretch of this road, but I'm glad I did so today because it offered me some nice views of Stanage Edge well illuminated by the sun...a bit hazy though unfortunately.




As I made my way slowly down towards Hathersage there were still plenty of views to enjoy, usually when I stopped and turned round though.




As I approached Hathersage this was the view of the church in the distance, over to my left.



I visited the new public toilets in the village and didn't like them: two unisex toilets with a marble seat that couldn't be lifted up. The toilet I used was flooded with a mixture of water and urine, all over the toilet seat and about half an inch deep on the floor. I only needed a pee, and I hit the target with my aim...so don't be blaming me. 

There were fifty minutes until the next bus was due and so I popped into Cintra's Tearooms, one of my favourite establishments in the Peak District, and ordered a pot of tea and a homemade raspberry scone.

No comments:

Post a Comment