Friday, April 20, 2018

Slack, Milltown, Woolley, Brackenfield, Lea, Dethick, Riber, and Matlock

The route I walked down from Slack to Milltown is shown as a track on the map but it's actually a tarmaced road for half its length.

I passed some pretty countryside, a horse in fancy dress...and a shed graveyard.







The pub, The Masons' Arms, at Milltown is rather drab and so there was nothing for me to photograph in the village.  I walked along the road for a bit and then continued to Ogston Reservoir using the footpath. Unfortunately there's not a path going along the shore of the reservoir and so I had to use the road to Woolley, and then Brackenfield; the road keeps quite close to the water's edge though...and I did manage to snap a photograph of a lovely cottage.





I spotted another charming cottage before stopping to eat my sandwiches in the churchyard at Brackenfield - the door to the church was locked though.







It was country roads, bridleways, footpaths, tracks, and fields until I reached Wheatcroft and then the road that goes to Lea.



Another nice house...





I only just briefly entered Lea before taking the footpath that goes across the meadows to Dethick; the approach to the church at Dethick from the south is wonderful...one of the best I've experienced.










It was a steady, but gentle climb up to Riber and then a much steeper descent into Matlock...coming down not quite where I was expecting.







Travelling back on the bus to Sheffield I had a long interesting conversation with Matt, a busker about politics, science fiction and Asperger's syndrome; quite lively at times. Very satisfying and enjoyable though - the time certainly passed quickly.




No comments:

Post a Comment