Sunday, November 20, 2016

Doncaster, Bessacarr, and Loversall

I woke up quite late again this morning after a night out, in Doncaster this week; so a rainy start to the day wasn't going to be problem; I had time to have breakfast before the weather cleared up later in the morning and I set off for another local walk...starting from my front door again.

I walked down my street and took a short cut through the estate to the football ground and Doncaster Lakeside before joining the Doncaster Greenway until I reached Bessacarr.





At Bessacarr I found the correct bridleway, which immediately meant I had to use a manually operated level crossing across the Doncaster to Lincoln railway line; it's nothing complicated...just two gates to open and close.

A few hundred yards later the bridleway crosses over the East Coast Main Line, a multi-track, very busy high speed intercity line with overhead electrical wires, obviously presenting a few problems for people on horseback.

Anyhow...this is the solution; it's most likely the most costly-to-build footbridge I've ever used.







The next section of my walk went alongside the M18 motorway, which fortunately is well screened by trees, and then across a rather unattractive area of land near to where what I think is the new National College For High Speed Rail is being built.



The approach to Loversall was quite pleasant along a country lane, and Loversall itself is a pretty little village.













There were about a dozen young men mowing the grass and tending the graves in the churchyard. When the supervisor noticed me taking photographs he asked me if I wanted to look inside the church. He had the keys and so opened it up for me and gave me a brief talk about the building and its history - he was a local man.







As I left the village I crossed the road to check the bus timetable at the bus stop and then plan what I'd do next. A bus back into town was due in six minutes so I just stood where I was and waited for it. It actually arrived a couple of minutes early.

No comments:

Post a Comment