It's the first weekend of the National Heritage Open Week scheme. Since I was unable to arrange to go anywhere further afield in the car with my support worker I've decided to plan a short local walk visiting a few properties which will be specifically opened up for the day, or it will be free admission.
I caught the X19 Barnsley bus to Marr and then walked along the winding country road to just beyond Barnburgh Crags where I took a footpath going down to Barnburgh.
.
I've never visited the dovecote at Barnburgh, it's located on private land - normally you can't even get up close enough to photograph it.
I've photographed the church many times before but think today might have been the first time I'd been inside. Like as it was at the dovecote there was plenty to see inside, mainly photographs and local history displays about the village.
I walked through the village to Harlington and then down the lane to the River Dearne and joined the TransPennine Trail. I continued for a couple of miles until I reached Conisbrough and climbed up to the castle.
I didn't climb up to the top of the keep, I've done it a couple of times before - it was busy, people were queueing...and I was tired by now,
The final photograph was taken from the bus stop where I would have caught the bus back to Doncaster, but because of the number of parked cars on the narrow streets the buses weren't serving Conisbrough town centre and so I had to walk up to the main road to catch one.
No comments:
Post a Comment