Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Eyam, Burnt Heath, Housley, Grindlow, and Brough

It  seems a bit unusual approaching Eyam from the west on the 257 bus, until this year I'd only be travelling in the other direction on the 65 bus that goes to Buxton. I got off at the first bus stop and walked through the village, as far as the church. 













I then passed to the south, to the area where some of the old quarry workings are. I crossed the road that passes through Middleton Dale and then climbed up the well-maintained quarry road to Burnt Heath, just a collection of industrial buildings.




I headed across the fields to Housley and then briefly along the road that goes to Foolow before turning off and walking in a westerly direction past Brosterfield Farm and Stanley House.






I turned to the north, taking the path that skirts to the side of Silly Dale and then walked the short distance along the road to Grindlow.







It was a quite steep climb up to the road where the gliding club is and then a more undulating path heading towards Abney Moor. On the moor I went to explore an area that is shown as being a reservoir on the map. However, it's disused and looks like much of it has silted up. There are just several small ponds remaining now...and a well maintained stone-built cabin that looks like it's being used by a local angling group.













I finished the walk by going along Brough Lane, a wide track that leads to Brough. I caught the bus back to Sheffield from there; it was fifteen minutes late - it didn't really matter though because there are plenty of trains from Sheffield Station going to Doncaster.















1 comment:

  1. A great place for a day out and no shortage of different routes to take.

    ReplyDelete