Friday, February 23, 2018

Monyash, High Peak Trail, Middleton-by-Youlgreave, Bradford, and Haddon Hall

I caught the local bus from Bakewell to Monyash and as soon as I arrived there I headed off down the road towards the High Peak Trail. It was then an easy and level three miles until I turned off and walked down Green Lane towards Middleton. I stopped at Parsley Hay along the Trail to eat my sandwiches inside the Istrian kožun, a circular stone shelter.













About half way along Green Lane I noticed a weathered stone tablet set into a section of wall.



It was difficult to make out the letters, never mind attempt a translation. At the time I thought that the first line mentioned something about the waters of the River Derwent...as it turns out, according to Google Translate the word that I assumed was the Latin name for the River Derwent actually means 'affront.'

For any linguists reading, the full inscription is:

AQVAE ARNEMETIAE DERVENTIO
HVIVS VIAE CVRAM CVRATORES
VIARVM NON SVSCEPERVNT'


I'm none the wiser after typing the words into Google Translate. Apart from 'affront' the other words and phrases that it suggests are 'water' 'of the way' 'they took care of roads' and 'curates'. I've tried re-arranging them and nothing really makes any sense.

I took a different footpath from Middleton to Bradford, only briefly dipping down into the valley, and then continuing on higher ground, bypassing Alport to the south.







  


The final stretch of the walk was across Haddon Fields and then down to the bus stop at Haddon Hall.

I'm still recovering from a cold today and so I'm pleased that I managed nine miles; I feel fine as well now that I'm back home.

UPDATE: I've done a bit of research online and found out that Green Lane runs along the course of a Roman road and the inscription laments the fact that neither the Romans, nor anyone else has bothered to maintain it. I still don't know what the exact translation is yet.

I've also been told that I've made a mistake with copying down some of the lettering...the correct word is the part of the Latin name for Buxton.

No comments:

Post a Comment