Sunday, July 24, 2011

Surprise View, Leadmill, Bretton Clough, Abney and Brough.

Today's walk began at Surprise View, a location which got its unusual name in the nineteenth century when Queen Victoria was travelling in the royal coach and was pleasantly surprised by the panoramic view which unfolds at this particular point on the road to Hathersage.

It's only a view yards to some rocks which can easily be scrambled up to get the best view.



The route of the walk continued westwards and downhill to the River Derwent, with excellent views of the Hope Valley every time there was a clearing in the trees.



After walking for a few hundred yards along the river I reached the hamlet of Leadmill where the pub there has a lovely display of hanging baskets.

I then continued in a westerly direction towards Bretton Clough. The path here is easy underfoot and there are some pleasant, if not dramatic views, as I walked across fields, and hillsides covered in bracken, and through woodland areas.

When I reached Bretton Clough I stayed on the higher paths until I needed to descend, and then climb the other side of the valley.

I came across a sign that certainly didn't apply to me.


I soon arrived at Abney and took the lane that leads to the track that goes to Brough; where I arrived just in time to catch the bus.

1 comment: