Sunday, March 6, 2011

Fox House, Longshaw, Hathersage...and Bronchitis.


I've started today's blog entry with a photograph I took whilst waiting for the bus, not very far from Sheffield Railway Station. If you click on the image it will be large enough to read the poem on the side of the building. Just a few yards behind where I was standing there is a very interesting water feature, which I shall take a picture of when it's sunny and there aren't many people about.

The walk began at Fox House. As soon as I'd crossed the road something caught my attention: an amber strobing light on top of what looked like some sort of electrical switchbox. It was a few yards from the main building of the Fox House Inn, and probably had something to do with the premises. I have no idea what it is, and I've never seen anything like it before, and have never noticed it at that location previously.

I was soon walking in the Longshaw Estate, and after a few minutes arrived at a popular stretch of the Burbage Brook.


On a hot afternoon in summer hundreds of people will be enjoying paddling in the cold water, playing games with their children and pets, eating ice cream...and doing pretty much everything you'd do on a beach. Even today there were half a dozen families there.

I then meandered towards Owler Tor and then crossed the road and passed Mother Cap and Over Owler Tor and took the path to the west of Carl Wark and Higger Tor.

Navigating along footpaths that went through, or adjacent to, several farms and large impressive houses I eventually arrived at Hathersage, where I'd got time to purchase a large cream cake and a carton of milk, which were consumed on the bus going back to Sheffield.

I only covered five miles today, which isn't too bad though considering I was diagnosed with bronchitis last week, something that I've probably had for the last three years: no wonder I've been gasping going up some of the hills.

2 comments:

  1. I love that poem on the side of the university building and have featured it a couple of times on my blog too. I love your walk today - very popular with us and Burbage Brook is great when it is hot! Lots of dam building and dam busting! Take it steady with your bronchitus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear you aren't feeling so good, hope the spring brings you better health in time for some nice summer walking.

    ReplyDelete