Sunday, March 4, 2018

Things That Annoy Me When I'm Walking

It's quite a long list considering how much I really do enjoy walking.




Roadwalking - especially the camber on the road surface which after a while causes a nagging pain on the outer side of my left ankle, and then later on my hips get sore. Of course the traffic is also annoying...and can be dangerous at times.

Cyclists riding side-by-side or bunched up together on the road and holding up the traffic. I was once on the bus travelling up a steep hill coming out of Sheffield and the bus had got stuck in a low gear because of this. At the top of the hill the driver was shouting at the cyclists to pull over to allow him to pass before his engine overheated...but they didn't budge. By contrast, I've rarely had any problem with mountainbikers out on the moors.

Blocked, or poorly maintained or signposted footpaths.

Some gates and stiles - there's no standard type of gate or stile. Several times I've cut or bruised my hand struggling to open or close a gate...and pulled a muscle climbing over a stile when I'm tired at the end of a walk.

My bootlaces keep coming loose - they get caught up and snag in the undergrowth - I hate having to re-tie them when they'e covered in mud.

Constantly having to take off my gloves to take photographs, tie my bootlaces, wipe my nose etc.

Public transport when it goes wrong - fortunately the bus services in the Peak District are fairly reliable.

Cows or horses standing right next to gates that I need to open and pass through - they seem to have a sixth sense about this.

Being disappointed by the weather. I'm sorry to say that I'm a fairweather walker and so I only go walking when it's a decent forecast. Taking photos is an important part of walking for me and so I prefer good conditions...I don't like getting wet either.

Occasions when the map seems to be inaccurate or out of date.

Zips on my clothing that won't easily open or close; they're necessary...but annoying. Pockets on my trousers, fleeces, and coats always seem to be in the wrong place as well.

Sometimes having to be walking against the clock because I need to catch a bus...and the fact that bus stops aren't shown on OS maps.

Dogs jumping up at me - whether or not they've got muddy paws [and of course their owners always saying that the dog is 'only being friendly.']





No comments:

Post a Comment