Saturday, September 9, 2017

Sheffield City Centre and Sheffield and Tinsley Canal Walk

I caught an early morning train to Sheffield and spent about an hour and a half taking photographs in the city centre before heading for the canal basin to start my walk along the towpath to the large indoor leisure and shopping complex at Meadowhall where I met up with a group of friends from Leeds for a late breakfast at the Wetherrspoon's pub there.

It was drizzling most of the time I was in the city centre and also as I walked along the canal, not starting to brighten up until I'd almost reached Tinsley Locks. At this point Maureen phoned to inform me that they had all arrived at Meadowhall and so we agreed to meet up at 11:30.  It wasn't much later when I spotted a footpath sign pointing away from the canal towards Meadowhall. I used the footbridge which took me over the tram tracks and a railway line and stepped down onto the platform at Carbrook Tram Stop. The route to the shopping centre from here didn't look very appealing, and a tram was due in a few minutes - so I waited for the tram.






























Chris, the only other walker in the group, decided he'd like to join me on the walk back to the city centre, something I hadn't planned on doing...but gladly agreed to. I was correct about the walk back to the tram stop at Carbrook, it consisted of car parks, busy roads, building sites, derelict land, and warehouses. After an an initial shower the walk back along the canal was done mainly in pleasant sunshine.













I walked Chris back to his tram stop so he could travel back to Meadowhall and I continued on to the railway station to catch my train back to Doncaster.





No comments:

Post a Comment