Monday, February 13, 2017

Kingston-upon-Hull: UK City of Culture 2017

When I found out about this I immediately made plans to visit a couple of times this year. I was really looking forward to going to Hull today; I did enjoy myself...but it seems that the city isn't ready yet - there are still plenty of roadworks taking place and the only difference I noticed from my previous visit was the installation of a large wind turbine blade in the main square. All it did for me was block my sightlines of the impressive Victorian municipal buildings I wanted to photograph.

We stopped for our sandwiches at Hessle as usual, but this time we drove on for a couple of hundred yards beyond the Foreshore area to a nice wooded car parking area next to Hessle Haven, from where we were able to to go for a short walk right down to the water's edge.




It was still quite sunny when we reached Hull and so we lingered so that I could take some photographs - there was no need to go inside to shelter from the weather.















We then made our way to the Old Town...it's not far.









We went in to the Hull and East Riding Museum but didn't stay for long. There wasn't much for us to see; all of the exhibitions seemed to be aimed at children. However, just across the square is the Streetlife Museum of Transport,  a much better prospect - we spent an hour in here, and could have spent longer if it had been a little less busy.











We then made our way back to the main shopping area and the highlight of the day for me - the recently re-opened and refurbished Ferens Art Gallery, which like all of the museums in Hull is free entry. There are more Dutch Old Master paintings inside this building than anywhere else outside of the Netherlands. There are several dozen of them, most in very good condition and all of them well lit and presented...the galleries were quite busy today.  

We slummed it a bit by stopping for a pot of tea and a toasted teacake each at a coffee shop inside the indoor shopping centre before we set off for the drive home to Doncaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment