Monday, February 22, 2016

Tideswell, Litton Mill, Monsal Head, Little Longstone, and Ashford-in-the-Water

I got off the bus at the first stop in Tideswell so that I could walk the entire length of the village. I popped inside the church for the first time; it's got some nice stained glass windows, but nothing much else.




By the time I reached the main shopping area I was impressed by the number of pots and containers planted with colourful flowers...even this early in the year.

There were plenty of the usual seasonal flowers; daffodils, crocuses, primroses, and snowdrops. However, attached to one sheltered south facing wall I noticed a hanging basket with some trailing petunias in it; maybe they were plastic. I forgot to reach up and have a feel.






I left Tideswell by taking a path I'd not walked along before, coming out onto the road just above Tideswell Dale.

Tideswell Dale was looking pretty in the bright sunlight; near to this spot is where I ate my sandwiches.




About twenty minutes later I arrived at Litton Mill and took a short path that runs at the back of some of the houses; I hoped to get some interesting shots but some washing on the line blocked what would have been the best photograph. The ones I've included were taken a bit later on, back down on the main track.





  




There's a concessionary path going along the river to Cressbrook. Sometimes, as today, it is flooded and a diversionary route has to be taken. When I reached the flooded section at Rubicon Wall the water wasn't too deep, only about six inches, and perfectly safe to wade through. As a precaution I rolled up my trouser legs; it looked like I was going paddling.


Here's a link to a short video. I'm walking slowly because obviously, I'm filming - and I didn't want to splash cold water on my bare legs....this, of course, would be better than ending up with my trousers getting soaked. It's easier to dry my legs than the trousers. 

I crossed over the weir and climbed up the path to the Monsal Trail. I didn't stay on here for long though, climbing up even further to Monsal Head.

I thought I'd walk down the road to Ashford-in-the-Water and catch the next bus to Bakewell. However, just beyond the long stay car park and the toilets there was a new sign advising walkers not to walk along this stretch of road because there are no grass verges. I therefore took the suggested longer cross country route, across the fields. This diversion meant that I missed the bus, but having nearly an hour to spare I took my time enjoying a pot of tea and a slice of fruit cake at the Aisseford Tearooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment