Thursday, June 6, 2013

Bakewell, Calton Houses, Calton Lees, and Chatsworth House.

I went to the toilets at Sheffield Railway Station and tripped up over a cone which was put there to cover up a wet and slippery patch: fortunately this was the only time I slipped or tripped today.

The weather forecast was for bright sunshine and the hottest day of the year; when I got to Bakewell it was cool and quite misty, and so I only took close-up photographs. The shots I've selected feature a pot plant next to the sink in the toilets, and an interesting café sign.





I left Bakewell and walked up to the Monsal Trail and headed eastwards for probably less than a mile to its current end at Coombs Viaduct. I continued walking along Coombs Road, which is a farm track at this point. By now the clouds were clearing and the sun was warming me up: there were lovely views back towards Bakewell, although the town can't actually be seen because a hill blocks the view.


I then climbed up through a wood and arrived at Calton Pastures, one of my favourite places in the Peak District. I enjoyed some absolutely stunning panoramas as I walked down towards Calton Houses, and then along the lane to Calton Lees.






Just before reaching Calton Houses I noticed a piece of rubbish at the side of the path: I read the lettering...how ironic.



There are some lovely cottages at Calton Lees, all owned by the Chatsworth Estate.


The toilets at the Chatsworth Garden Centre at Calton Lees were very welcome; as was the pot of tea in the café. From here I had intended to make my way to Baslow, via Pilsley, but as I was walking alongside the river I realised that my bowels were working loose again, and the process of walking was making things worse. I went to the toilets again at Chatsworth House and then just hung about waiting for the bus, taking a few photographs. 

I enjoyed myself today, as I always do when visiting the Peak District; but my bowels let me down - I think I must have eaten too many grapes yesterday.


No comments:

Post a Comment