Sunday, May 7, 2023

Snake Inn to Bamford

I travelled on the 257 bus to the Snake Inn, on the Snake Pass; it's now been converted into apartments though. I soon found the stile that leads to the footpath that goes down towards the River Ashop which runs approximately parallel to the road, heading back towards Sheffield. Initially the path goes through an area of quite recently felled trees. I soon reacherd a footbridge going over the river and the countryside got more interesting, although for most of the walk I was rarely out of sight or earshot of the busy road I'd just travelled along; particularly annoying were the large numbers of very loud motorcycles.





Not longer after the bridge I had to spend quite a few minutes finding a place to ford a quite deep and fast flowing beck.














Just beyond an abandonned farmhouse I had to ford another beck, it wasn't as difficult this time; the barbed wire fencing a few minutes later was much more difficult - I was surprised to find it blocking my way because there was a fairly clear path leading right up to it and then continuing on the other side. 




I
















I continued heading down the valley, using the wide track that goes alongside the shore of Ladybower Reservoir.











When I'd crossed the dam wall of the reservoir I turned to the right and walked along the road to the bus stop at Bamford Station. I couldn't resist going in the Yorkshire Bridge Inn; I was tired and thirsty and needed some refreshment. It was busy, and unusually for me I joined the queue and waited. 

I was fortunate when I reached the bus stop; I was expecting having to wait for fifty minutes but the bus I thought I'd missed was twenty minutes late and so arrived only a few minutes later. I only had a few minutes to wait for my train at Sheffield; it was already on the platform - however I nearly ended up going to Goole together with at least another dozen passengers. I feared we wouldn't be able to disembark at Doncaster because a very large pushchair was blocking the vestibule area, and at the next set of doors there was another problem. as it was someone managed to push the pushchair out of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment