Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Elsecar, Wentworth, Nether Haugh, and Upper Haugh

I caught two trains to get to Elsecar this morning, changing at Meadowhall. I walked downhill from the station to Elsecar Heritage Centre and spent a few minutes there; at this early hour none of the businesses were open, but the toilets were.









I then walked up to Wentworth, going across the fields, and through a small wood.




Wentworth's a pretty village, there's plenty to see there.






































































After I'd finished exploring the village I went down through the deer park and visited Wentworth Woodhouse for the first time ever. It's been open for a while now and so I was able to go right up to the building, looking for the tearooms. The tearooms are actually inside, at the back...and they're lovely. I didn't stay though, it really was too early for cake. I'll be returning soon, most likely with my support worker...not too soon though because the house will be closed to the public for most of April due to a major filming project.













I took the path that goes up to Nether Haugh.





It was a short walk over to Upper Haugh; as I walked by a bus stop on a housing estate I noticed that a bus was due and so I got on it and travelled to Rotherham, from where I caught another bus back to Doncaster. 







No comments:

Post a Comment