Monday, September 14, 2020

Hawks Nest, Scrooby, Ranskill, Torworth, Blyth, Hodsock, and Langold

Another walk in North Nottinghamshire again today, visiting Blyth for the second time this week, this time stopping to take some photographs, quite a few photographs actually...it's a pretty village.

I travelled to Hawks Nest, a location just to the south of Bawtry and walked down the road to Scrooby. I was here last week and so didn't take many photographs. I didn't mean to start today's walk near to Scrooby but I got on the wrong bus because the sun was in my eyes and I couldn't see the destination blind properly.





I left the village and took the path that goes across the fields to the Ranskill to Mattersey road. Not long after going over the level crossing the path was blocked, a footbridge over a drainage dyke had been removed. Fortunately I only had to re-trace my steps for a few hundred yards before I found an alternative route.

I ate my sandwiches in a stubble field with a good view of the railway line; six trains passed and I managed to photograph five of them - this was my best effort.




  On the way to Mattersey Grange there's an animal hotel.








I thought I'd better not go this way.



I didn't enter Ranskillat this point, instead I took the footpath that goes through the woods to the level crossing on Station Road.



 I had to wait several minutes for three trains to pass.




There's a path that comes out onto the main road near the cemetery, I still had to walk a few hundred yards until I reached Torworth. There was nothing to photograph at Torworth; I walked quickly through the village and then down the road to Blyth. Fortunately today, unlike Tuesday, I had a camera that works and so I spent at least half an hour exploring the village.












































I was going to sit down on this seat on the village green but then noticed this phial of liquid was attached. Does anyone actually know what it is and why it's there?



There were still some more photographs to be taken as I left Blyth.
















I headed southwest across the fields to Hodsock; there's an abbey there...it's really a stately home that's used as a wedding venue though.








[Interestingly, the 'NO' has been painted over, not scratched off]


From Hodsock there was a wide track leading to Langold, from where I caught the bus back to Doncaster.


No comments:

Post a Comment