Monday, April 6, 2020

Google Street View Virtual Walk: A Circular Walk From Peak Wildlife Park

The X71 bus would have been stopping outside the entrance gates to the Peak Wildlife Park at Winkhill; I'm not sure how many people would have been wanting to get off there to visit the park for the full day, but it would have been a useful location for me to be able to reach a lot of good walking country in all directions.


I would have started by walking  over to the southwest, to the church at Ipstones and then continuing to Consall Station on the Churnet Valley Railway. I couldn't find any suitable images of the area to crop though.





For the next stretch of the walk I would have used the towpath of the Caldon Canal, which flows close to the railway track.

I would have walked up the road at Froghall Wharf and then located a path heading east which comes out onto a minor road in the Upper Cotton area.

There's a church at Cauldon, the next village I planned to visit. I didn't see any other old or attractive buildings in the village though as I walked through using Street View; it's right next to a quarry and what looks like a cement factory.   Finally I would have made my way back to the wildlife park to wait for the bus.







When I was studying the map to work out the route of this walk I noticed that there's a quarry at Cauldon on the site of Caldon Low, the same name as the canal. I wonder if 'Cauldon' and 'Caldon' are variant spellings of the same word? 

No comments:

Post a Comment