Saturday, April 18, 2020

Google Street View Virtual Walk: Chapel Haddlesey to Selby

My first six virtual walks have featured the areas of the Peak District that I could have reached by travelling on the X71 bus rom Sheffield. I would have been able to get to the start of today's Google Street View virtual walk by catching a bus from Doncaster. When I was planning this walk it wasn't my intention that in some way it would become another of my featured walks, but when I noticed on the map that towards the end of the route there were several farms with names featuring trees or bushes I had to include it.

The plan would have been to travel on  the Selby bus to Chapel Haddlesey and head west out of the village, first taking the road and then a footpath which crosses over the Selby Canal. I'd then be walking in a northwesterly direction  until I reaching Gateforth and passing near to the hall, which is now an hotel; a few yards further on is Hambleton Hough, a wooded hill.



I would have walked down the road to Hambleton, same as is the case with Gateforth there doesn't appear to be a parish church there. There's a complicated railway junction just north of Hambleton and the footpath has to cross three busy main lines - it would have meant walking for nearly a mile just to get a few yards closer to Scalm Park, my next intended destination.

It was then over a mile down the road to Wistow and then a rather indirect minor country road to Selby, passing by Sycamore House Farm, Ivy Grange, Laburnum Farm, Mulberry Farm, and Lilac Farm. Surely these names can't be a coincidence? There's also an Elm Tree Farm at Wistow, and the name 'Selby' means 'a farm by the willow tree.'






Selby Abbey is a magnificent building, both inside and outside...this was the only angle of it I could lift from Street View though.





No comments:

Post a Comment