Friday, March 6, 2020

Dore Moor, Fox House, and Hathersage

Another one of my themed walks for 2020, today featuring animals, although some of the references are really contrived though...but I'm still counting them.

I travelled on the 272 bus just beyond a location called Owlet House, to the west of Dore Moor Inn on the way out of Sheffield. I wasn't far until I reached Sheephill Road, briefly walked along it until I found a path going up on to Houndkirk Moor. I continued heading to the northwest and after nearly a mile I came to within a few yards of the Ox Stones, over to my left - I went over to visit them.












[There are so many scowling faces that I can see in this image]




I walked across the moors and then along the top of Burbage Rocks and over to Fox House. Because of the muddy conditions I was stepping or leaping from rock to rock; a passing fellow hiker didn't understand my reference to hopscotch at all. A few minutes later I briefly chatted to a woman called Dawn from Birchover and then met her again in the beer garden at the Fox House Inn. She works with children who are autistic and we ended up discussing the more unusual aspects of Asperger's syndrome in particular for about fifteen minutes.







I headed northwest from Fox House along the path to the prominent Toad's Mouth rock perched at the side of the road  and then made my way to Over Owler Tor.

Toad's Mouth rock from certain angles really does look like a toad.



I took a photograph of the county boundary sign because the meaning of the name 'Derby' is 'village of the deer.'



This rock is called Mother Cap; 'Over Owler Tor' is rather unimpressive.



I then took the path leading up to Stanage Edge, scrambling up to the Cowper Stone and the path which goes along the top of the cliff. I had planned to loop further to the north and pass through two locations called Cattis Side and Cowclose but my left heel was getting a bit sore and so I made my way back down to Hathersage by the quickest possible route, passing just to the south of Leveret Croft. Ten animals on my walk today I think.




















No comments:

Post a Comment