Saturday, March 7, 2020

Another Themed Walk - A Circular Walk From Penistone

A second day looking for animals, today starting at Penistone. I got off the train and headed out to the west on the TransPennine Trail and after about a mile and a half I left and walked down the road to Starling Bridge. Hornthwaite Hill was over to my left - I've decided to include body parts of animals on the walk today. 

I got caught up with the local parkrun; I've never nodded my head and said 'hello' so many times in quick succession before as people approached me coming in the opposite direction.

This was my first animal of the day, at the side of the TransPennine Trail,  I don't know what type of bird it is - the writing on the brass plaque has faded away.



The footpath I chose took me to the western edge of Millhouse Green, I then walked along the road for a few minutes and turned down to Bullhouse Mill, situated on the River Don, before looping back up to the road, passing through the small settlement of Catshaw.





I looked for the remains of Catshaw Cross at the roadside as shown on the map.




I then headed to the north, passing Flash House Farm and went down the lane towards some active quarry workings. I continued going west, passing through an area known as Crow Edge and then a housing development which I'm assuming must be Hazlehead.

I couldn't resist exploring the impressive ruins of this old farm - unfortunately I couldn't get any closer because it was fenced off.



I started my return journey back to Penistone at Carlecotes, crossing over the TransPennine Trail just south of Soughley. The small church at Carlecotes is hidden away behind some houses and is difficult to photograph because of the houses, overhanging trees, nearby farm buildings, a large shed, and a high retaining wall.

This was my best effort; I couldn't fit any more of the building into a single shot from whatever angle I tried. I walked over to what I thought would be a more open part of the churchyard but it turned out to be the garden belonging to the vicarage.






After leaving the church there was open moorland over to my right as I crossed over into the Peak District for the next two and a half miles -  Cat Clough Hill was over to my right, only a few hundred yards away.

I reached the Woodhead Pass road just to the northwest of Langsett Reservoir and then walked through a maze of footpaths in a wooded area - not too far away a location called Fox Holes is marked on the map. The wood in this area is called Crookland Wood; it took me a while to realise that there's a rook in there.

I walked along the northern bank of the reservoir, used the public toilets in the village, and then headed north for Penistone, passing through a small area of Access Land known as Brock Holes.



The final couple of miles back to the railway station were easy - along tarmac roads, a gentle downhill slope with the wind at my back. I made very good time and caught the 3:43 train back to Barnsley.

Just a final thought now though; if I'm including Hornthwaite Hill as one of my themed placenames for today's walk then surely I need to included Penistone as well, don't I?


No comments:

Post a Comment