Thursday, August 24, 2017

Peak District Trig Points



I've just found a list online of all the trig points in the Peak District. I reckon I've visited eleven of them since I started writing this blog - I certainly must have visited several more when I was much younger too.

Back Tor: On the moors to the east of Derwent Reservoir - plenty of interesting rock formations up here.

Birchen Edge: Next to Nelson's Monument and The Three Ships rocks. The Robin Hood pub is nearby.

Brown Knoll: I stopped here with a couple of friends to eat our sandwiches as we were on our way to Kinder Scout.

Calton Pastures: I've rested here several times, or to eat my sandwiches. Some lovely views of the Chatsworth estate.

High Neb: One of the two trig points on Stanage Edge.

Mam Tor: It's a popular climb up here from Castleton - I've never had the summit to myself.

Oaker Hill: Probably the lowest of the trig points, but it's a lovely view of the Derwent Valley from here.

Stanage Edge: The second of the Stanage Edge trig points, further south than High Neb. I think this is the one that's easier to clamber over the rocks to reach.

Stanedge Pole: I didn't even realise that this was classed as a trig point. The Pole has recently been replaced and information plaques added to the base.

Sir William Hill: Looking at the map I must have walked by this location several times but I don't recall seeing the trig point.

White Edge: Located on Big Moor; this trig point must have recently been re-painted by someone since it's now a very bright white colour.

Win Hill: Great views of Ladybower Reservoir from up here. I've never had the confidence to actually climb up to the trig point which is perched on some precariously balanced rocks. Whenever I've been here though I've always seen people standing right next to it, or even on top of it, posing for photographs.




No comments:

Post a Comment