Saturday, June 10, 2023

Middleton-by-Wirksworth Open Gardens

I'm glad to be visiting the Open Gardens events for the first time in four years due to lockdown, there were a few planned last summer but they were very limited and not worth bothering going to. I caught the X17 Wirksworth bus from Sheffield and got off up the hill at Cromford and walked across the moor to Middleton. It seems that an old quarry has been re-activated though and since I didn't bring my map I wasn't sure where the footpath now goes and so I chose to walk further along the road and use another footpath to reach the village.

Two more upcoming local Open Gardens events were advertised at the side of the road, but not this weekend's at Middleton.







I arrived at the higher part of the village as planned, paid my £3 at the Nelson pub and picked up my programme and route map. I made my way down to the bootom end of the village, visiting all of the gardens and then got up onto the High Peak Trail and walked the short distance to the nearest bus stop, just on the northern fringe of Wirksworth. 














I climbed up and down several hundred steps today, practical all the gardens are situated on a steep hillside or cliff and have terraces.
































The final photograph was taken at Matlock Bath, looking through the bus window as the bus was statioary at a bus stop.




No comments:

Post a Comment