Sunday, April 2, 2023

New Smithy, Breckend, Wash, Bagshaw, Sparrowpit, and Castleton

I caught the new bus service going over the Snake Pass today which I mentioned in my previous post. I travelled to a location known as New Smithy, just a couple of miles north of Chapel-en-le-Frith, noting the route, and the locations of the bus stops whern I could.

I headed east to Castleton, a distance of about nine miles. I started by making my way along a lane to the hamlets of Breckend and Wash and then continued to the small village of Bagshaw, located on a steep hill.
























I was able to use footpaths going across the fields to Sparrowpit, a location I have previously visited on my walks.





I called in to the Lemon Tree Cafe at Sparrowpit for a pot of tea and a slice of chocolate tiffin. A large organised tour or rally featuring sports cars went by and we had a good view of the vehicles through the windows as they all had to stop for at least a few seconds at the dangerous junction in the village.

Not long after I set off  across the fields for Castleton I caught up with an Irishman from Manchester called Tom and we walked together and chatted for the next mile or so until we reached Perry Dale and went our seperate ways.













I chose the shortest route to Castleton, meaning that there was a steep descent down a grassy hillside as I approached the village. I chose to do this on my backside. I arrived at the bus staion in Castleton needing to wait only fifteen minutes for my bus going back to Sheffield.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment