Saturday, May 21, 2022

Exploring New Areas To The West Of Castleton

A walk to the stone igloo on the moors near Brown Knoll today.

I caught the bus to Castleton and walked through the village and then along the road to the entrance to Winnats Pass. There's a path that climbs up onto the northern rim of the pass and I hadn't decided whether or not I'd be using it until I arrived there. I decided against it though because I think there's a  steep descent back down onto the road as the only way of getting down...so I continued walking up the pass using the wide grassy area at the side of the road.


















At Winnats Head Farm there's a path that goes over towards Mam Nick where the carpark is located. I then walked along the top of Rushup Edge until I reached the path that goes across the moor to the trigpoint at Brown Knoll. 
















The stone igloo and a building associated with a air shaft for Cowburn Tunnel are reached before Brown Knoll and were easy to find. I walked across the moors to reach them, I didn't continue over to Brown Knoll though.

A couple was sitting down and eating their sandwiches at the igloo; the woman told me that the igloo had been built by an eccentric old man a few years ago.







I didn't go inside, the entranceway was too low.
















[On my paper Ordnance Survey map it's shown as 'Gowburn Tunnel' but the error has been corrected on the online version]




The moor is Access Land and so I was able to make my way directly over to the west to join the Pennine Bridleway. I turned left at Rushop Hall and then continued along the road that goes along the bottom of Rushup Edge back to the Mam Nick area. I finished by taking the easy option, retracing my steps back to Castleton.



















It's a small bus station at Castleton but today there were three buses waiting there - something I've not experienced before.

No comments:

Post a Comment