Friday, May 13, 2022

Blackwell Turn, Pomeroy, Bull-i'-th'-Thorn, Flagg, and White Lodge Car Park

I had planned to catch the local bus from Bakewell to Monsal Head but it didn't show up, so instead, ten minutes later, I got on the TransPeak service and got off at Blackwell Turn. I headed south along the Pennine Bridleway, briefly walking down a narrow country lane before taking a path going across a grassy field; in this field there were some wildflowers I'm sure I've not seen before...and certainly don't know what they're called.



 


There were also some dandelions in this field - I saw a lot more of them today.




I continued heading south on the Pennine Bridleway until I reached the vicinity of Pomeroy, a hamlet consisting of a dozen houses, a pub, and a farm. I took what I was hoping would be short cut, but I got lost; I couldn't work out where the path went. There was a stile where the path obviously didn't go and a chained gate where it did. 

I then took a path which went down to the High Peak Trail but only stayed on the trail for a few hundred yards before walking across the fields to a tiny settlement with an unusual name, Bull-i'-th'-Thorn.





Apart from the donkey sanctuary, there's a former pub that's now a cafe and camp site, there's also a meditation centre and a couple of farms.

I headed east towards Monyash, but didn't enter the village; I swung north and was expecting some easy walking across flat grasslands to Deep Dale. I wasn't counting on these young cows though who followed me, pushed up against me and kept licking my bum...I wanted to run but I was scared of them stampeding and crushing me. This was one of my scariest experiences in the Peak District.





There are a lot of different types of wildflowers in Deep Dale. There's no photograph of the early purple orchid because it was out of focus but I managed to capture these images.







 



I finished the walk at the bus stop for the White Lodge Car Park on the busy A6 trunk road.




Finally, as I was waiting for the bus going back to Sheffield in Bakewell a vintage car rally passed through the town, a woman told me they are MGs.




No comments:

Post a Comment