Sunday, October 25, 2020

Walking Back To Doncaster Along The River From Conisbrough

I caught the bus to Conisbrough today and walked back into town along the river, a walk I've done many times, but not recently because I've been travelling a bit further afield into Nottinghamshire. Now that South Yorkshire has been placed under tier three lockdown it looks like that for the foreseeable future I'll be restricted to local area walks. 

Conisbrough Castle was looking its absolute best in the early morning sunshine.















After spending a few minutes at the castle I crossed over the road and went down into The Dell, somewhere I hadn't previously visited. It's an attractive wooded area featuring a lot of steps and several footbridges passing over a tumbling beck flowing down a deep ravine. At the bottom I picked up the footpath that would eventually lead me down into the Don Gorge.

I soon reached Conisbrough Viaduct and crossed over to the other side of the river.








I walked on the left bank of the River Don all the way back to the edge of Doncaster Town Centre, except for a short section just beyond Newton where the footpath has been temporarily diverted away from the riverbank and goes across a couple of adjacent fields.


It was very busy at Sprotbrough, possibly the busiest I've ever seen it - so busy in fact that I had to walk over to the island in order to have a pee out of sight of anyone.










I usually see several cats at Newton; not today though.




Finally, just in case I'd forgotten which river flows through Doncaster.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment