Sunday, October 11, 2020

Auckley, Hatfield Moors, and Hatfield Woodhouse

I caught the Finningley bus to Auckley and then walked along the right bank of the River Torne, taking the opposite side of the river to the previous time I'd been here - the access to the riverside path is through a small housing estate.










After about a mile and a half there's a footbridge over the river and the path continues only on the other side. The reason for this is that on the bank along which I was walking it was quite waterlogged on the approach to the bridge and the path would have ended up leading to a marshy area. 

I reached Torne Bridge on the main road and headed roughly northwards for a few hundred yards until I arrived at the entrance to Hatfield Moors Nature Reserve.




I took the shortest marked out circular route before heading north again along the Peatlands Way and then a narrow county lane to Hatfield Woodhouse. I ended the walk there; it had clouded over and got quite chilly...and anyway a bus back to town was due in a few minutes.















1 comment: