Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Steetley Quarry

Today's walk was to a specific location, Steetley Quarry in the Don Gorge near Conisbrough. I headed to Hexthorpe, went a slightly different route through the park and then continued along the riverbank as on previous walks.

Before I reached Mill Lane I took the lower path through the meadows which goes down by the river - it's much more open down there and I was able to take a few photographs.







I crossed over the road and continued on the same side of the river, looking out for footpaths leading up the hillside to the left and going underneath the railway line. A couple of these just meandered through the woods before returning to the main path at the bottom but eventually I found one that not only led up to the quarry, but went all the way to the top of the quarry, from where I was able to get some good photographs. It was quite an adventure finding all the viewpoints to take photographs; there are paths everywhere going in all directions, steep drops and sheer cliffs, overhanging branches I had to duck under, and the mottled shade on the ground made it difficult for me to work out where to put my feet.

Steetley Quarry is popular with mountainbikers and motorcycle scramblers, but not today...there were two other people walking, and that was it.









I pressed on towards Conisbrough Viaduct because there was nowhere else to go and then followed the track along the abandoned railway line to Warmsworth. I used the footbridge that goes over the motorway and walked the rest of the way home along the main road that brings traffic into town from Sheffield and Rotherham...and the motorway. 

I found another pretty cottage at Warmsworth to photograph.



No comments:

Post a Comment