Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Doncaster Lakeside, Bessacarr, Old Rossington, Old Cantley, and Cantley

Today has been the first day since the start of the lockdown that we're able to  go for a walk without fear of being arrested by the police - that's a phrase I never thought I'd be writing on my walking blog in 2020 in England.

The weather's not been as nice as it has been recently but I still took advantage and went on a local walk, about ten miles, setting off from my doorstep - public transport is only running a very limited service and I would feel uncomfortable with the social distancing measures anyhow.

So...I left my house and walked through the estate to Doncaster Lakeside and then took the section of the Doncaster Greenway that goes just to the south of the houses at Bessacarr; I went there last week and visited the Stoven's Plantation area over to the right.











I saw several of these handwritten notices featuring random words - it must be some sort of improvised outdoor educational trail for children but it wasn't until I'd photographed the fourth sign, featuring 'train' that I was entirely convinced that they hadn't been put there by doggers last night.










There were some much more professionally produced signs a few hundred yards later after I'd turned right and headed along the path that crosses Doncaster Golf Course.









On the approach to Old Rossington I crossed over the River Torne and looked down into the water from the footbridge and saw some small fish, about two inches long - I don't know what they are.

I walked along Littleworth Lane in the village before taking the path across the fields to the Mount Pleasant Hotel. After about half a mile I reached a lovely open area of heathland where I came across some wartime ruins, some of which look like they were gun emplacements - I don't know what the building with the railway tracks inside is though. 












This area was the highlight of the walk; sandy heathland with plenty of flowering gorse, the ruins to explore, and then further on a wildflower meadow - this was one of only two limited areas I'd not previously visited.

I then walked for about half a mile up the Great North Road and found the path that goes through woodland and then through Hayfield Lakes Angling Club to Warning Tongue Lane. I continued to Old Cantley and made my way through Cantley Park until I reached the houses at Cantley. I wasn't sure exactly where I was, but I worked out how to get down to the main road by studying the route and timetable at a bus stop.  I was on the Great North Road again, but further north,  and returned home by the shortest route.





No comments:

Post a Comment