Friday, February 7, 2020

Over Haddon, Magpie Mine, Monyash, and Haddon Hall

My second themed walk featuring the 'lows' of Derbyshire, starting at Over Haddon today. I travelled to Bakewell and then caught the local bus; I noticed that it was advertising/previewing the new forthcoming X71 service that will be going to Hanley.

My first photograph features cows, because cows low, don't they?



The path that goes in a northwesterly direction from the village towards Magpie Mine took me as close as I could get to my first featured location, Grind Low, a tumulus about five hundred yards over to my right.



There's a footpath that goes right next to Dirtlow Farm, about half a mile to the north of my route today but I couldn't work out how to include it on my walk.

I spent a few minutes at Magpie Mine and then headed west and southwest across the fields to Monyash.





















A few hundred yards over to my right there's an area of fields called Highlow and nearer to Flagg there's  a small group of farm buildings shown on the map as Knotlow.

I've never seen 'drive with special care' mentioned before anywhere else.



The church at Monyash seems to be always open.













I didn't start my walk down Lathkill Dale right at the top but took a couple of short paths and a bit of a walk along the road to get as close as I could to another tumulus, Ringham Low, crossing to the north of Ricklow Dale. I still had three miles of Lathkill Dale to enjoy before climbing up to Haddon Fields and then catching the bus back to Bakewell from Haddon Hall.




No comments:

Post a Comment