Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Carburton, Clumber Park, Hardwick, Elkesley, and Retford

The aim of today's themed walk has been to cross over as many different rivers as possible, and I should have managed four.

I was aware that the River Poulter, the Idle, the Maun, and the Meden all converge within a very small area about four miles south of Retford. I managed to plan a walk that started at Carburton Cottages, and got there by catching the Sherwood Arrow bus from Worksop. 

I got off the bus on the main road and walked down a footpath; I needed to climb over a chained gate right at the start of this path though. I knew it was the path because the public footpath fingerpost sign was only a couple of feet from where I was standing as I checked the map. Carburton is only a hamlet, it does have a church though, although it looks like it's no longer consecrated.



I then briefly walked along a country road for a few hundred yards until I entered Clumber Park through the western gate. Before that though I'd crossed over the River Poulter for the first time today - I noticed that the level of the water was high.







The pretty stone bridge in the park was being rebuilt but pedestrians are still able to use it - this was my second crossing of the Poulter. I stuck to the southern shore of Clumber Lake, therefore not going near the toilets, the tearooms, the visitor centre, or the chapel...I did pass this small folly though. 


I'd not visited  the main part of Hardwick Village before but I have used the public toilets there when walking round the lake. I certainly don't remember there being a small art gallery in one of the corners of the gents'.



Hardwick is the Clumber estate village; I spent a few minutes exploring before heading off east towards Elkesley.







I passed to the south of Elkesley and then had to turn to the south to cross over the Poulter again and then both the Meden and Maun in quick succession. I got over the footbridge without any problems, but when I reached the other side this is what I saw.





I couldn't judge how deep the water was, and didn't want to find out so I retreated into Elkesley and then had to walk the next four miles along the road to Retford. There's only the one safe crossing over the busy A1 trunkroad, and that's at Elkesley; Gamston airfield is also nearby and that made access to both Gamston and Eaton difficult too...going straight back to Retford was the easiest option.








No comments:

Post a Comment